Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Sleeve for an e-reader

My daughter has an e-reader. Perfect for her trip to Europe. I'm amazed how many apps it has, beyond books!

Anyway, I made a sleeve to protect it from the rough life inside a back pack while touring Europe. I let her choose from some of my quilting cottons and she chose the map print, as a perfect companion for books and travel. She also chose a batik print for the lining. 

Back at the studio, and over to my sewing machine. I used a heavy Pellon for the stiffening. The kind you use to back fabric bowls and boxes. I fused the lining to it with wonder under. And trimmed it, leaving a seam all round the edges. Then I folded it with the lining inside and seamed the side and bottom. 

At this point, I realisesd I should have sewn the tab on while it was flat.  I made the tab with a lighter Pellon inside, turned it and added half of the magnetic fastener. You could also use a button to close it, but the magnets are neat.  This I now stitched onto the Pellon. I also glued the lining seam to one side, so it wouldn't roll when I put the cover layer on. A glue stick did the trick. 

I wrapped the outer fabric and checked the fit before trimming it, leaving a seam all round. I joined the side and bottom, them slipped this over the inner layer.  The other half of the magnet fastener was attached, then I folded under the top edge. I chose to reveal a small amount of the lining fabric, to give the top edge a little jazz. Top stitched it and it was done!  

It didn't take long at all and she loved it! Theses simple crafts can be so satisfying. Don't you find?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments.